Abbeville Alabama 1910

Abbeville Alabama 1910

Friday, January 24, 2014

My gggrandfather Jasper Thompson the civil war veteran

Jasper Thompson was born in 1847 in Harpers Ferry, West Virginia right near Charles Town.   Jasper was born to Solomon Thompson 27 yrs old at the time and Eliza Grey who was 22. 
Jasper Thompson
 At 20 he enlisted March 29, 1864 and was soon appointed corporal in December and made First Sergeant the next February.  He was honorably discharged at Brazos Santiago, Texas in November 1865 from the 23rd USCT.  Four years later he would marry my gggrandmother.



 On Jan 3, 1869 he married Dolly Ann Irvin where they had 12 surviving children during their marriage.   My grandma Dolly was there to witness first hand the hanging of John Brown.  I don't know if my grandpa Jasper was present or not I assume he was,  he was born and raised in Harpers Ferry and would have been a teenager at the time.  I wonder if that is what inspired my grandfather to join the service or not.   I imagine that would be a huge factor. (Pictured below 10 of the 12 surviving children of  Jasper and Dolly 
Jasper's wife Dolly Irvin/Irwin Thompson
Grandma Dolly said that her real last name was Barr
That's another story for another day, I still have some investigating to do.

My great grandmother Frances Thompson Preston when to 2 years culinary school and used to bake professionally


Jack Jasper Richard Thompson on his graduation from Meharry Med School

Louise Thompson Sanders owned a beauty shop in Phila PA
William A Thompson Sexton at a church in Phila PA

Solomon H Thompson who helped open one of the 1st black hospitals
in Kansas City, Kansas (Douglass Hospital)

Eliza  R Thompson passed at age 16 from Pneumonia

Sarah "Sadie" Thompson Miller

Frank Thompson "Head Red Cap" according to the census in 1940 Los Angeles Union Station 

Margaret Thompson Tolliver Cross

David Thompson

Marie Thompson Holmes

Thompson, Jasper
NAME: 23rd Regiment, United States Colored Infantry
SIDE: Union:
COMPANY: F
SOLDIER'S RANK IN:  Private
SOLDIER'S RANK OUT:  First Sergeant
FILM NUMBER:  M589 roll 86
NOTES:
AFRICAN AMERICAN CIVIL WAR MEMORIAL:
DISPLAYED AS:  Jasper Thompson
PLAQUE NUMBER:  B-40 Regiment Details


UNITED STATES COLORED TROOPS 23rd Regiment, 

United States Colored Infantry OVERVIEW: 
 Organized at Camp Casey, Va., November 23, 1863, to June 30, 1864.  Attached to 2nd Brigade, 4th Division, 9th Corps, Army of the Potomac, April to September, 1864. 2nd Brigade, 3rd Division, 9th Corps, to December, 1864. 3rd Brigade, 3rd Division, 25th Corps, December, 1865. 3rd Brigade, 1st Division, 25th Corps, and Dept. of Texas, to November, 1865. SERVICE:-Campaign from the Rapidan to the James River, Va., May and June, 1864.  Guarding wagon trains Army of the Potomac through the Wilderness. Before Petersburg June 15-18. Siege of Petersburg and Richmond June 16, 1864, to April 2, 1865.  Mine Explosion, Petersburg, July 30, 1864.  Weldon Railroad August 18-21. Fort Sedgwick September 28. Poplar Grove Church September 29-30. Boydton Plank Road, Hatcher's Run, October 27-28. Bermuda Hundred December 13. Duty on the Bermuda Hundred front till March, 1865. Appomattox Campaign March 28-April 9. Hatcher's Run March 29-31.   Fall ofPetersburg April 2. Pursuit of Lee April 3-9. Appomattox Court House April 9. Surrender of Lee and his army. Duty in Dept of Virginia till May. Moved to Texas May-June.  Duty at Brownsville and along the Rio Grande, Texas, till November.   Mustered out November 30, 1865.  Regiment lost during service 4 Officers and 82 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and 1 Officer and 165 Enlisted men by disease. Total 252.RIN: MH:N2. 

 He died in 1906 in his hometown, at the age of 59.    It was said that Jasper was stern you could even say he was mean according to the neighbors and townfolk.   I don't know if he was that way towards his family, I've never heard that he was but anyway,  he went into town one day and later that night his body was brought home by his horse.  Someone in town shot him and the family never knew what happened to him.  

Jasper was buried in Fairview-Gibsontown Cemetery in Charles Town.  My question about his death, did they shoot him in the back while he was getting on his horse, or did they shoot him and then lay his body on the horse for it to carry him home? 


25 comments:

  1. WOW .... Great story but so sad the way he died ... And its so good that you have all of those pictures .. What a treasure ... Good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marcia!! I'm glad you enjoyed it, yes, I wish I could investigate the death.

      Delete
  2. Very interesting history. I agree with the others: it's so wonderful that you have such great photographs. Thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! I'm blessed to have the photos from my grandparents.

      Delete
  3. This is great work and beautiful pictures Monique. I truly like your setup. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joanie!! I thank you for reading my blog.

      Delete
  4. Wow, great post! your pictures are beautiful. Thank you for sharing Monique.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have some great history. To be able to talk about an ancestor at Harper Ferry and being there at the hanging of John Brown is amazing. Wish you could hear her tell you the story.

    Many of your family accomplished a lot, and I hope to hear more of the stories. I have a feeling some of my Buggs relatives may have known your Thompson's considering they were in the field of medicine.

    Great post and wonderful pictures. Thank you for your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Yvette, I wish I could have heard it directly from her too. My grandmother heard it from her directly and she passed it on to us..but to hear from someone 1st hand...wow. Jasper was cracking that whip, all those kids and he was in the service, he probably kept them in line...lol!!

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful post & vivid history! I am eager to learn more about Jasper & his journey as well as the Barr stor6. Where did the Barr name come from? So interesting! Thank you for sharing the pictures of your beautiful ancestors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Dante you and me both, I'm stuck right now with this "Barr" name. Trying to figure out how to even start besides checking the census for any Barr's that may have lived near them.

      Delete
  8. Great post! I am really enjoying learning about your family's history. Your pictures are amazing. Sad end to Jasper's very interesting life. Mabe his sternness came from being a first sergeant. You are doing your ancestors proud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bernita, I hope I am doing them proud. And yes, I believe that too that Jasper probably became stern from the service and then he had to continue being that way with 12 kids.

      Delete
  9. Somebody knew! Just don't know if it was recorded. Sounds like out of hate and bitterness and they thought he thought too highly of himself and he had all the reason to be. He took care of his own and This Country. I think it will be told and justice will be due one day. I can see your face in their faces as well! Great Post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you True, that means alot to me, that you can see me in their faces. You sound like you hit the nail on the head. I know someone saw something, I wonder what the death cert says, If it told if he was shot from front or back or what I could find out. I haven't been able to locate a newspaper clipping. I hope it will be told one day.

      Delete
  10. Great story. Thank you for sharing. I am with the group love all the photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Derek for reading my post!!!

      Delete
  11. such a wonderful post, rich with detail and pictures! thank you very much for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great history, and you are fortunate to have so many pictures! Have you tried checking for newspaper accounts of Jasper's murder?
    Keep up the great work?

    Renate

    ReplyDelete
  13. Excellent work Monique and It's wonderful we found we are cousins!!
    This work of yours inspires me to get my blog together!!
    Thank you for sharing- Joyceann

    ReplyDelete