Abbeville Alabama 1910

Abbeville Alabama 1910

Friday, January 24, 2014

While rooting through my family photos I found a Negro League Treasure

I am a family history buff and I love old photos especially old family photos.  I was looking through my grandparents photo album that was passed down to me because, pretty much nobody else was interested but me.  I came across these Negro league photos.   I can only assume that one of my grandmothers aunts or uncles attended a practice or a game or knew someone on the team to get these photos.   After talking it over with my mom, brothers and husband, I finally decided to sell them at an auction,  I figured I scanned them and have them in folders on my pc and on backup harddrives so it would be ok to auction them and that's what I did, but I just wanted to share my Negro League photos with you all.  Hope you enjoy!!  

Hilldale Team out of Philadelphia PA
Probably around 1922

Toussaint Allen

Louis Santop Hall of Famer

McKinley "Bunny" Downs

Harry Kenyon in plain clothes on here

Never figured out who Steve was.

11 comments:

  1. What wonderful pictures that were in your possession. Good thing you took scans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Yvette, I still have the Bunny Downs photo

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are absolutely wonderful pictures. What a great find. So someone in your family was involved in the league as a fan, player something. That is exciting. Are all the pictures gone? Oh, hit the wrong button, can you delete my previous non comment?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, I think that they attended a game and got there early to talk to the players or they were at a practice or they actually just knew someone...It was in Philly where my family lives.

      Delete
    2. I do have one photo, the one of Bunny Downs...I didn't auction that off.

      Delete
  4. Wonderful photos, thanks for sharing them with us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you can find more information on the Players. This was History and I don't pay much attention to baseball unless it has something to do with Negro League! Great Post and loved the Photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I do have a bio of each of the players here except for the "Steve". I'm not sure about him. Thank you so much!!!

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete