Abbeville Alabama 1910

Abbeville Alabama 1910

Monday, February 10, 2014

PART ONE: The obituary collection that my mother has kept.

My mother since she was a little girl has always been the family historian.  She knows the family history on both sides of my family because she was only 13 when her and my dad started "courting" as she says it. 

 Everything that I learned about my family history has been from her or documents I have found and study and research.  A lot of older people don't really like to talk, but my mother loves too, she has what you call "the gift of gab".  She calls and keeps in contact with the older cousins and they just volunteer everything to her, but when I ask.....(I hear crickets. lol!!!)  I get my mom to make all the phone calls.  

 My mom realized along time ago that obituaries have tons of family history and important information, I only just realized that lately when I started doing the research and family history.   I feel like the torch is being passed because now I want to know and learn everything I can and how everyone is related in my family.   But anyway, I really just wanted to share these with you all in case you have some family here.

Side note: Some of the women's maiden names are not included on the cover of the obituary.




























































10 comments:

  1. You got a treasure Monique! I love the Crippen Family obits and the time periods one also. I was looking for Chew Funeral Home I hope you can ask Mother about that place in Philly? Thanks for sharing this. When I get back I need to do the same. I have a few like these from Mom and Daddy. I hope someone contacts you for more info. Great Work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you True, yes I've heard of that Funeral Home on several occasions, I hope I can find out something for you. Ok, I will look forward to seeing what you have in your treasure.

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful thing you are doing by displaying all of these obits. I hope someone comes across one, and wants to know more. Great Work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Yvette!! I really love your blog where you find photos and try to get them back home to their owners....

      Delete
  3. Monique, this is awesome & makes me want to do the same with all of mine I have collected through the years from my Mother and Grandmother. This is going to be a blessing to someone looking for family connections! Awesome job & collaboration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dante!!! I hope it is a blessing to someone, and there is more to come. Hope to see yours soon

      Delete
  4. This is an awesome post, Monique! As a genealogist I look at funeral programs and obits in a completely different way than before. A wealth of invaluable information in one place. How do you store them all so they don't get damaged?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi T Neal, Yes me too, I didn't realize until I became interested in genealogy. My mother had them in a photo album, an album that had only obituaries and my grandparents had theirs in a photo album also, I just scanned them all and now I keep them on a couple of different hard drives. Thank you for reading my post!!!

      Delete
  5. Great post. Funeral programs/obituary's have so much valuable information inside. How very smart of your mother to keep them and you for scanning them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Bernita!! Yes, I'm so happy she did.

    ReplyDelete