Abbeville Alabama 1910

Abbeville Alabama 1910

Friday, March 7, 2014

The story of my Great Uncle Solomon H Thompson Sr

This is an interesting story that I found out about one of my family members.  

My great grandma Frances Thompson Preston, my grandmom Marie Preston Crippen's mother.   I remember her so well, I was somewhere around the age of 9 yrs old at the time of her passing.

Grandma Frances brother Solomon H Thompson Sr was a co-founder of the Douglass Hospital in Kansas city Kansas, one of  the first black hospitals in Kansas.  Side note:  I did a blog on Jasper Thompson, below are 3 of Jasper and Dolly's children.  They were born in Charles Town, West Virginia, I believe they both attended Storer College.  

(Bio from Kansas City Public Library Link below).

My Great Uncle Dr Jasper Richard Thompson who was in practice with Solomon in Kansas and their sister my great grandma Frances Thompson-Preston

Solomon Sr as a young man late teens early 20's

Solomon Sr in his 30's or 40's picture
with Arthur Brown a friend of his from Charles Town West Virginia
They both attended Storer College


Thompson Family Collection, Kansas Collection, RH MS 510, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas Libraries
http://hdl.handle.net/10407/8054607557

According to RH MS 510- I can view some family papers and photographs, that's exciting!!  I will be requesting a copy of these documents real soon.




12 comments:

  1. Very interesting ... Thanks for posting!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary Jewell for reading my post!

      Delete
  2. Wow, what a legacy for your family! I love your photos, this special story, and your sharing. Thank you !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that's way cool, what a great find. nice photos too. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool indeed! I LOVE Collections especially when they're direct family members. Have you found out if you can request copies or if you'll need to hire someone? Definitely worth a trip there for a hands-on review by you at some point in the future. No one will ever go through a collection like you will. It's personal for you!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I emailed them and they can make copies of some things, but if I want a copy of everything I will have to make a trip out there. Thank you for reading my post!!

      Delete
  5. Nique,

    I want you to know that your blog is listed in today Fab Finds post at http://janasgenealogyandfamilyhistory.blogspot.com/2014/04/follow-friday-fab-finds-for-april-25.html

    Have a fantastic weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow!!!! That's awesome!!! Thank you soooo much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your blog inspires me!! I just wish I had the collection of pictures like you do!
    Wonderful work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much!! I'm glad it inspires and if I can help in any way please let me know

      Delete